To prime or not to prime, that is the question!

Show them how it's done! Tutorials for bases, terrain, painting, modelling and photography.
Kastor Krieg

To prime or not to prime, that is the question!

Post by Kastor Krieg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 pm

... or woes and pitfalls of miniature priming.

I've just started a new YouTube channel, enjoy :)

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

Sete

Re: To prime or not to prime, that is the question!

Post by Sete » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:57 am

Cool going to watch as soon as.

Kastor Krieg

Post by Kastor Krieg » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Yeah, I think I will redo that episode and generally raise "production value" somewhat. Feel free to sub and watch :D

CMDR_Welles

Post by CMDR_Welles » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:20 pm

For my recent Death Guard army project, I used Vallejo primer through my airbrush. I let it sit for 48 hours or longer to cure. I'm finding it is so incredibly soft that it is either flaking off in chunks, or paint acts like it is almost hydrophobic, and wont stick to the surface at all... I dont know if my primer had gone bad or what, but it's been really frustrating... I'm thinking about trying the Badger primer as I've heard some good things about it. I dont know if I'll use Vallejo primer again...

And yeah, I wash all my plastics before I prime. Soap, water, and a soft toothbrush. Then I rinse and gently scrub again with 91% alcohol. Then its rinsed again with water and left to fully dry. I probably go a little overboard, but my minis are clean before primed.

Kastor Krieg

Post by Kastor Krieg » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm

That's really weird, I've only once met that behaviour but it was resin which literally bled separator.

CMDR_Welles

Post by CMDR_Welles » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Kastor Krieg wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm
That's really weird, I've only once met that behaviour but it was resin which literally bled separator.
This was the first time I've ever used the Vallejo primer as well as my airbrush for priming. I'm a huge fan of Army Painter rattlecan primers, but where I live, there is a very narrow window weatherwise where that is really viable. I've been tempted to chuck the whole Death Guard army into a strip tub and do it again... I've even sealed the minis I've already painted, and the paint is just flaking off... Its been a bit disheartening...

Kastor Krieg

Post by Kastor Krieg » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:17 pm

It could be that the primer is defective or that your humidity / temperature exceed the values for polyurethanes. It's been coming on weird at around 28C at my home a few days ago, but it's not flaking and next layers come on nice and stay on.

How hot and humid is it actually there? Did you mix the bottle thoroughly before pouring into the airbrush?