Children of the Great Horned Rat! - Skaven (et al) WIP

Projects still in the process of being built, painted, drawn, etc.
Darkhadeskiller

Children of the Great Horned Rat! - Skaven (et al) WIP

Post by Darkhadeskiller » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi everybody!
First of all, just wanted to say "Thanks!" to Kastor Krieg for setting this place up. As a long time user of B&C, I'm happy to see an AoS equivalent.

But that's not what this thread is about. Instead, I'm going to try to post my progress as I try to paint (I'm not the best nor the quickest) and try to play a mixed skaven army in AoS (I'm not very good at that either; in fact I wonder what parts of the hobby I am...).
So to begin what's a skaven army without a few clanrats...
And of course, what are clanrats without a warlord to lead them into battle... then abandon them there:
And then some more clanrats that are more in keeping with the WIP-iness of the whole thread.

DHK
"Kill-Kill!" - Queek Headtaker

Darkhadeskiller

Re: Children of the Great Horned Rat! - Skaven (et al) WIP

Post by Darkhadeskiller » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 pm

First of all, an update on the now finished clanrats:

And a "full" unit shot of all 20 clanrats:

Looking forward, I've to set myself a goal to get a fully painted list of Skaven, something I've never managed at any point in the hobby :roll:. I''ll try to update this list as I go to show which units I've completed.
Leaders
  • Warlord w/ Pair of Barbed Blades (Painted)
  • Warlord w/ War Halberd (Painted)
  • Thanquol and Boneripper (Painted)
Battleline
  • 20 Clanrats w/ Spears (Painted)
  • 20 Clanrats w/ Spears (Painted)
  • 20 Clanrats w/ Blades (Painted)
Behemoth
  • Hell Pit Abomination (Painted
Artillery
  • Warp Lightning Cannon
Other
  • 20 Plague Monks w/ Pair of Foetid Blades
On which note. I've already got the second warlord primed and ready to go!

C&C very much welcome,
DHK
Last edited by Darkhadeskiller on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sete

Post by Sete » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am

Pretty cool! Are those clanrats from the box or from blood island?

Darkhadeskiller

Post by Darkhadeskiller » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:06 pm

So a bit of a long one this time, been busy since last time I updated this,.
First of all, the Queek Warlord is finished:

And that's merely the tip of the iceberg. Next are everybody's favourite form of cannon fodder, clanrats! These guys have a slightly different scheme compared to the other pack, with blue replacing red. This is mainly a gaming thing, the colour swap being a form of squad markings, but also justified as the clanrats coming from different parts of the clan and so donning those colours: red for Verminus, blue for Skryre, yellow for Moulder etc. The plan is for units from these clans to share this colour.

And yet more clanrats, half of the Moulder ones this time. I could only stomach so many clanrats, so I'll paint the other half after I've finished what I'm working on now (see below for WIP pics)

Now for something more interesting, a Hell Pit Abomination (nicknamed Cuddles):

@Sete Thanks! The red (verminus) and blue (skryre) clanrats are from the Island of Blood set, which I had laying about from WFB, same as the first warlord. The yellow (moulder) clanrats are from the box though.

DHK

Edit: Fixed images, thanks sfPanzer
Last edited by Darkhadeskiller on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfPanzer

Post by sfPanzer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:20 pm

The links to the images seem to be broken.

Obsidian Quacker

Post by Obsidian Quacker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:39 pm

I've always enjoyed the sight of a well painted skaven force and these are definitely that. Queek was one of my favourite miniatures from the time, to me the plain metal armour you've done has given it an interesting new take and I like the yellow tubes on boneripper.
It's safe to say that I want to follow this thread.

(thumbs up from me!)

Callidan

Post by Callidan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Your Skaven look great man. Shouldn’t be so hard on yourself with your painting abilities. Hope to see more

Darkhadeskiller

Post by Darkhadeskiller » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am

First of all, thanks for all the compliments. I only hope this next lot live up to what you guys have said about them! I 've loved the Queek model ever since my old regular opponent/friend played with it against my poor Grey(plastic)beard Dwarfs in WHFB, and I always try to add in my favourite models into whatever army I play (as a possible hint as to what may be in the next batch of purchases, Deathmaster Snitch was also a favourite of his...)

Now onto the models that are freshly off the painting table...
What Skaven army would be complete without a more dynamic duo than The Dynamic Duo, Thanquol and Boneripper? None I tells ya, none...

And then a little more mundane with a Poison Wind Mortar...

And lastly that which has become a cornerstone of my blog, more clanrats...

Luckly these are the last of the backlog of clanrats which I've accrued, so no more clanrats for me! (For the moment at any rate)

So I thought I'd take a group shout of all the models I've painted so far, just to bask in the fact I'm making progress towards a fully painted army.]

This is without a doubt the most models I've painted for a single army in my entire time in the hobby. I have this forum and you people to blame thank! So I'll leave you on a teaser/"guess the converted model".

DHK

Darkhadeskiller

Post by Darkhadeskiller » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 pm

So it's been a while. Life and university have done terrible things to my hobby time, and that has been left has mainly been used on painting shiny-shiny necrons, not dirty disgusting rats so, umm, sorry about that!
Seeing the new skaven model though brought me straight back and now I'm on mission, because my hobby New Year's resolution is to not buy a model for an army that still has unfinished models in it... So I have a few more models (including a screaming bell and 20 plague monks to get through!) before I can get my hands on that sweet-sweet bombadier.
That and no skaven collection is really a skaven collection without a doomwheel.
I didn't not entirely neglect my ratmen in the meantime as I did finish up my Arch-Warlock and his massive claw:
I really did enjoy everything about this model, especially the 'halberd' torch.
I also painted up the Island of Blood packmaster to keep Cuddles company on those cold winter nights in the realms.
Nothing too fancy about him, he's just painted up in my standard moulder colours, but he's really good at handing out those sweet buffs in game.
Lastly, just as an odd aside, two of the clanrat units have names, the red Verminus clanrats are the "redshirts" and the yellow Moulder clanrats are the "yellowbellies", and I need a name for the final blue Skryre unit.
DHK